SHRM Copy Editor in Alexandria, Virginia
The Copy Editor works to ensure the quality of text and layouts for hundreds of projects each year from multiple SHRM business units and affiliates. Work encompasses a variety of styles, purposes, tones, formats, deadlines, budget specifications and delivery methods, including print, digital, online and via e-mail, with day-to-day oversight of specific client projects. Regular products include editorial materials (for example, HR Magazine, SHRM Online news and legal articles, e-newsletters and books) and marketing and promotional materials (for example, press releases, brochures, congressional testimony, advertisements, post cards and member e-mails).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Copy edit text in assigned products for readability, accuracy, spelling, clarity, consistency, logic, grammar, punctuation, usage, good taste and fairness, ensuring that text meets quality standards guided by the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, the 2014 AP Stylebook, Webster’s New World College Dictionary and SHRM's brand guidelines.
• Work with content creators, editors and project managers to resolve any substantive questions and ensure clarity in text, keeping in mind the communication medium (print, digital, online, e-mail). Rewrite and copy fit text as needed. Ensure final approval of content creators, editors, project managers and Copy Desk Manager as needed.
• Proofread print layouts through multiple rounds of corrections, ensuring that changes and corrections are incorporated, text is the appropriate length, spacing is used effectively, formatting is consistent, and page elements are accurate and conform to style guidelines. May include checking final printer proofs.
• Check charts, tables and graphs in assigned products for style and accuracy (sometimes checking math), and cross-check any text (including numbers) that also appears in the main article.
• Ensure that online Editorial products use SEO best practices, and rewrite headlines, meta descriptions and other online elements as needed. Use content management system to correct and update posted online text.
• Make recommendations for—and help update, publicize and enforce—the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, and create and maintain supplemental styles. Stay up-to-date on changes in style and language usage; educate and advise clients on best practices.
• Must have a firm grasp of English language, grammar, spelling, usage, punctuation and commonly used styles. Previous use of AP Style is preferred.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment under constant deadline, copyediting and proofreading accurately and quickly, in MS-Word documents, in PDF and on paper.
• Must be able to organize work and time productively and meet the demands of competing priorities while requiring minimal supervision from the Copy Desk Manager.
• MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, MS Excel, Chrome, InCopy and content management system experience preferred.
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and online publishing preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
• At least 4 years of experience copyediting and proofreading publications, including news.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. This job requires occasional travel 0-10%.
The Society for Human Resource Management is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or TDD (703) 548-6990.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Summary of Department
SHRM’s Publishing & Media unit produces award-winning print and online news, information and collateral that informs, educates and engages the professional development and knowledge base of SHRM members, as well as HR and business professionals worldwide who follow and care about issues important to human capital and HR management. The division's advertising and HR Jobs offerings target vendors and employers who wish to align with SHRM's quality offerings to reach this valuable audience.